Welcome to "Ask a Question" on The Massage Source, where you can ask questions and receive answers from massage professionals.

If I am looking for a specific type of massage, how will I know if the massage therapist is specialized in this area?

0 votes
asked Apr 7, 2014 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Many massage therapists will post or list their special training in their office or marketing literature. Also, most massage schools accredited through the various States and/or professional organizations must offer not only basic Swedish, or traditional Western style massage but other modalities as well including deep tissue, sports massage, lymphatic drainage and Asian acupressure type styles. Many massage therapists are required to take continuing education courses to maintain their licenses or professional standing. This may include taking classes in additional techniques such as pregnancy massage, geriatric massage or massage for trauma to name just a few.

The best way to find out is to contact a massage therapist directly and simply ask what their basic training included as well as what type of continuing education they have received. On this site, The Massage Source also offers massage therapists a chance to list what they specialize in.
answered Apr 10, 2014 by Ms. Linda Fehrs, LMT (790 points)